recent posts

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Upcycled Boy Hat

So, I love Cheri's projects involving making something new from something old.  You can find her post on how to make the oringinal Upcycled Boy Hat from old t-shirt here on her blog I Am Momma Hear Me Roar.

Cheri gives excellent instructions.  I am terrible at sewing and I figured it out.  I borrowed my mom's sewing machine, grabbed some of my son's outgrown shirts and went to town.  I have to admit it took me at least one and a half hours to make this.  In my defense, I had to change a bobbin and deal with my almost 2 year-old son at the same time.  I didn't take pictures of it step-by-step because you can go to Cheri's page and get all that.

I couldn't get the flaps right and I only used one layer of fabric.  I ended up cutting the flaps off of the second (brown) hat.  The red hat is one I hand-sewed before I went and borrowed the sewing machine.  I have to say I was impressed with myself, meaning it actually looked like a hat.  Except the ear flaps are really wrong, I plan on cutting those off too.  I'm gonna try making more hats soon.  I think I'll use some of Jax's old fleece baby blankets to line a few.  I have a really cute monkey pattern blankie that would be adorable.

Sorry the photos are not the best, my son didn't wan to cooperate.  Anyway, here they are:

As you can see, the flaps are WAY too small.

I used a thinner t-shirt material and it is a wee bit too tight.

I used a thicker knit for this one.

I hand-stiched a pawprint cut from the same shirt.

They are not even close to Cheri's original, but hey, I do not pretend to be a seamstress.  I do think that with a little practice I can do a better job. 

Until tomorrow,

Natosha

No comments:

Post a Comment